Question: Can I introduce an algae eater or pleco fish into a goldfish tank to control the algae growth?
Answer: Algae eaters should NOT be in the same tank as a goldfish for many reasons.
- The pleco and algae eater live in waters around 78-82 degrees and the the goldfish prefers 66-74 degrees
- Many plecos and algae eaters can grow up to 18 inches which would reduce the amount of goldfish you can stock
- Goldfish have a tasty slime coat that plecos and algae eater like to snack on; leaving your goldfish susceptible to disease.
- You would need multiple plecos and algae eaters since they
- Algae is also in your goldfish’s diet. It acts as a laxative and combats constipation.
- Some algae is beneficial to the overall health of your goldfish aquarium by creating oxygen and feeding on extra nutrients.