There should be little confusion about what mouth rot is; the name pretty much sums up what the goldfish disease will look like. In order to treat this through, it requires knowing what causes the mouth of a sick goldfish to rot.
Goldfish Mouth Rot Symptoms
- Goldfish will rub their mouths and noses against objects
- The mouth of the sick goldfish becomes red
- The lips then begin to separate from the mouth, pulling tissue apart.
- The mouth might collapse in on itself leaving a gaping hole.
Mouth Rot Caused by Columnaris (Cottonmouth)
- White spots appear on the mouth of the goldfish
- Cotton-like growth will begin to grow.
- The mouth will rot away.
You can treat with API PIMAFIX and Aquarium Salt.
Professional Treatment Option
- When goldfish mouth rot begins to show, use a cotton ball to swab the infected area with hydrogen peroxide.
- Then an injection of Baytril is recommended.
- If an injection is beyond your expertise (hint: it probably is), treat mouth rot with antimicrobial medication. Potassium Permanganate, Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) is an effective option.
- You can also add some Aquarium Salt.
- Remove the sick goldfish and quarantine it so it can heal without being picked on by other fish.
- Finally, add a slime coat protector
Goldfish mouth rot is the result of bacterial infection but it typically starts due to the presence of a parasite. It’s best to check for parasites first and treat them accordingly.
You can help prevent mouth rot by keeping stock numbers lower. This will lessen the likelihood of scraping their mouths on objects. It’s also important to keep the water clean and regularly test the water quality.