What To Do If Your Pet Has Been Exposed To Toxic Mold 

Mold is among the peskiest troubles that could arise in your home. They can be found practically everywhere and breed quickly on damp surfaces. The presence of molds is a common result of water damages caused by floods, high levels of humidity in enclosed spaces, and pipe leaks.

Since most mold species are considered toxic, prolonged exposure to them may be harmful to you and your pets. As a result, you should clean your home as soon as possible after a flood. It would also be beneficial to repair any leaky pipes that may cause puddles of water that could breed these molds.

However, there is a chance that your pets may have inhaled the mold spores even before the cleanup. When this happens, they often exhibit signs and symptoms of mold poisoning. There are steps that you can take to prevent complications that can severely affect their health. Here’s an article that will help you with that. So, read on!

cat looking out window

Symptoms Of Mold Poisoning

As pet owners, knowing the different signs and symptoms is the first step to addressing the problem. You must keep in mind that signs and symptoms of mold sickness may resemble other health conditions.

If your pets have inhaled toxic spores, they’re likely to show signs, including:

  • breathing difficulty
  • nasal discharge
  • coughing and wheezing
  • nose bleeding

If they have ingested moldy food, they may also experience the following:

  • bloody stools
  • vomiting
  • poor appetite
  • seizures

Allergic reactions due to mold exposure are also common in animals. Possible indicators of mold allergies include:

  • scaliness
  • inflamed skin
  • itching
  • fur loss
  • excessive chewing

dog laying down

Things To Do When Your Pets Gets Exposed

While there’s no definitive treatment for mold toxicity, there are measures you can take to minimize the adverse effects on your pet and prevent the situation from happening again.

  1. Call A Professional Mold Removal Company

The condition of your home has a lot to do with your pet’s mold toxicity. Your pet getting sick is a clear indicator that molds are present but may not always be visible to the naked eye.

Even if your pet has recovered from poisoning, it may inhale or ingest the molds again if your house has damp spaces and leaky pipes are left unattended.

Suppose you live in Florida, where it can get highly humid at certain periods of the year, making your home a breeding ground for molds. In this scenario, you can hire a professional mold removal company West Palm Beach specific to assist you in identifying methods that can better handle the problem common in properties in your area.

Generally, mold removal companies have different services that could help you make your property spotless You may take a peek at this for more ideas.

  1. Seek Veterinary Help

Whether your pet’s mold poisoning seem severe or not, you need to bring it to the veterinarian. Typically, the vet will check vital signs and run some tests to see if the exposure affected your pet’s bodily functions and substance levels.

In many cases, you’ll have to observe your pet for some time to see changes in its behavior. If your pet has a severe condition, your pet may be hospitalized until it fully recovers. Constant communication with the vet will help you give the best care for your sick pet.

  1. Keep Your Pet Hydrated

Since one of the common symptoms of mold poisoning is vomiting and decreased appetite, you will need to replenish your pets’ lost fluids and nutrients regularly. The right amount of water may depend on its size and type.

You could also position your pet near running water, such as a filtered fountain, as some pets find this source more natural and enticing. You may also opt to provide your pets with ice lollies as treats.

  1. Detoxify Your Pets

Some of the natural food to detoxify your pets are bone broth and raw goat milk. You may need to have them sip these fluids. You may also clean your pet’s digestive tract by withholding food for 12 to 24 hours.

However, you need to ensure that your pet is well-hydrated before detoxification.

  1. Clean Your Home Ventilation System

Keeping your home clean is paramount for you and your pet’s health and safety. From time to time, you need to declutter your home and replace your HVAC filters.

In severe cases, you may also need to upgrade your property’s ventilation system for better airflow and temperature to reduce moisture indoors. Less indoor moisture can help control rapid mold growth.

Dog Resting

Final Thoughts

Toxic molds could be life-threatening. Because of this, you will need to ensure that your home is a safe environment for your treasured ones. If you are experiencing problems with molds, it is best to address them immediately. As the old saying goes, health is wealth for everyone in the family- and that includes your pets.

Related Reading

 

Leave a Comment